Admin eats $20m in NSW flood grants | The Murray Valley Standard

The Premier of New South Wales has apologized to communities devastated by floods in northern New South Wales after many felt ‘left behind’ as it was revealed that millions of dollars allocated to flood relief will be eaten up by administrative costs,

More than $20 million of the $434.7 million in flood recovery funding announced last week could be used for the government’s grant administration costs, an Estimates hearing said Monday.

ServiceNSW CEO Damon Rees told the hearing that the arrangement “provides up to 5% of the stipend to cover implementation and administration costs.”

This “reflects the cost of implementing and supporting customers throughout the life cycle of these programs,” he said.

Grants of up to $75,000 for farmers and $50,000 for small businesses and nonprofits, announced Thursday, are co-funded by federal and state governments.

It comes as heavy rain and thunderstorms continue to smash the coast, posing a new flood risk for several river systems from northern New South Wales to the southern part of the state.

The heaviest falls are predicted for Greater Sydney and the Hunter region, but moderate flooding is also predicted for the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, South Coast, Illawarra and Bega.

Dominic Perrottet said he was sorry for thousands of people in the Northern Rivers district whose homes and businesses were destroyed when towns such as Lismore, Ballina and Mullumbimby were flooded last week.

Many had to be rescued by fellow citizens and have since struggled to access basic necessities such as food, water, electricity, fuel, telephones, ATMs, internet and medical supplies .

“I’m so sorry…but we’re doing everything we can,” Mr Perrottet told Lismore’s Nine Network.

“Some of these areas will look back on this and say it could have been done better but … we are doing absolutely everything we can to provide care and support to those in need to get these essential supplies,” he said. he declares. .

“There’s no doubt that in some of the smaller communities there’s a sense of abandonment and I’m so sorry about that,” the premier told News Corp.

“There isn’t one or two stories, I’ve heard hundreds of them in the past few days.”

The floods claimed six lives in New South Wales, including four in Lismore.

The ADF is helping with the cleanup with 512 people on the ground in New South Wales.

Some 5,000 personnel will be posted or made available in New South Wales and Queensland during this week as 2010 are on the ground in both states, the ADF said.

Job protection has been announced for flood emergency volunteers, to prevent people from being fired or demoted while helping with the cleanup.

The prime minister put the job protection order in place on Monday and said it would remain in effect for 14 days.

About 2,000 of the 3,500 homes assessed so far in Northern Rivers are no longer habitable, a number that is expected to rise, increasing the need for short- and medium- to long-term accommodation.

The total cost of insurance claims in the state has risen to $312 million, the Insurance Council of Australia said, after the estimated total cost of claims in New South Wales and Queensland reached 1 .3 billion dollars.

Some 86,703 applications have been made, 28% from NSW and 72% from Queensland.

Telstra said it had restored around 80 per cent of mobile coverage in northern New South Wales and 75 per cent of landline connections, but flooding and road damage continued to hamper their technicians.

Australian Associated Press

About Christopher Easley

Check Also

EXCLUSIVE War forces Ukraine to divert $8.3bn to military spending, tax revenue drops – minister

Ukrainian servicemen sit atop an armored fighting vehicle as Russia’s attack on Ukraine continues, at …