Government grants – Grantstation Trendtrack http://grantstation-trendtrack.com/ Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:08:25 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=5.9.3 https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/cropped-icon-32x32.png Government grants – Grantstation Trendtrack http://grantstation-trendtrack.com/ 32 32 Delta State Government announces approval of N400 million grant to 40 missionary schools to upgrade and expand their facilities https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/delta-state-government-announces-approval-of-n400-million-grant-to-40-missionary-schools-to-upgrade-and-expand-their-facilities/ Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:08:25 +0000 https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/delta-state-government-announces-approval-of-n400-million-grant-to-40-missionary-schools-to-upgrade-and-expand-their-facilities/

On Tuesday, the Delta government announced that it had authorized the distribution of a 400 million naira grant to 40 missionary schools in the state so that they can upgrade and expand their facilities.

During a press conference to discuss some of the decisions taken at the State Executive Council meeting chaired by the Deputy Governor, Mr. Kingsley Otuaro, the Information Commissioner, Mr. Charles Aniagwu, made this announcement.

During the briefing, Aniagwu, who was seated next to the Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Olisa Ifeajika, announced that each of the 40 schools would receive N10 million.

He explained that the law was a deliberate effort by the state government to ensure that schools do not fall behind in terms of facilities and efforts to develop human capital.

“In today’s Exco meeting, a number of decisions were taken and one of them is the approval of a N400 million grant to 40 mission schools in state that were previously run by the state government before being handed over to missionaries.

“This translates to 10 million naira for each of the 40 mission schools to enable them to improve their facilities because you know that over the past seven years we have spent a lot of effort and time upgrading a number of government-run schools.

“But, since the return of a number of these schools to missionaries by the last administration, we had hope that they too would be able to cope fully. Yes, they did very well because they were able to add value to these schools,” Aniagwu added.

According to him, the first phase of the Old Lagos-Asaba road, which stretches 7.6 kilometers from Umunede to Obior, has also received the approval of the state executive council.

The commissioner said the government has approved the construction of men’s and women’s hostels with 240 beds each at Dennis Osadebay University in Asaba to provide safe accommodation for athletes to ensure the overall success of the 21st National Festival. sports. be housed in the state.

He went on to say that the council had also approved the construction of an indoor sports complex for close competitions for the national sports festival inside the Stephen Keshi Stadium in Asaba.

“We have approved the construction of a 240-bed space at Dennis Osadebe University for women and another 240-bed hostel for men that will house athletes coming to Asaba for the National Sports Festival.

“The reason for locating them on the premises of the university is that the hostels will also serve as hostels for students after the sports festival.

“We have also approved the construction of an indoor sports complex which would house further games in the Stephen Keshi Stadium,” the commissioner said.

He claimed that the Maritime University of Nigeria, Okerenkoko in the Warri South West Local Government Area of ​​the state had received approval for the construction of an additional lecture hall.

He said approval had been given for the construction of drainage channels to connect the Asaba Stormwater Control Project to drain the core area, Off DSS Road, Asaba.

Aniagwu said six streets adjacent to Asaba had been given the green light for construction in a bid to advance the state government’s urban renewal program.

The appointment of John Holt Ologho as Regent of Emevor Kingdom in Isoko North Local Government Area was also endorsed by the government at the meeting.

↯↯↯Read more on the subject on TDPel Media ↯↯↯

]]>
Pakatan: Government should cut spending, not subsidies, to help Malaysians cope with rising prices https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/pakatan-government-should-cut-spending-not-subsidies-to-help-malaysians-cope-with-rising-prices/ Mon, 27 Jun 2022 03:09:03 +0000 https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/pakatan-government-should-cut-spending-not-subsidies-to-help-malaysians-cope-with-rising-prices/

Removing subsidies would further expose Malaysians, especially the B40 income class, to rising prices they were already struggling to afford. — Photo by Firdaus Latif

By R. Loheswar

Monday, June 27, 2022 11:08 GMT

KUALA LUMPUR, June 27 – The federal government should put in place immediate cost-cutting measures such as freezing all official overseas travel and suspending mega-projects to free up funds to address the cost crisis life in Malaysia, said a Pakatan Harapan (PH) committee.

The coalition’s cost of living committee has also suggested that the administration of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob reduce the number of ministries and lower the salaries of Cabinet members as part of this austerity drive.

He said these measures should have been attempted before revoking subsidies which would further expose Malaysians, especially the B40 income class, to rising prices they were already struggling to pay.

“We take the government’s decision to remove food subsidies very seriously. We find this decision half-baked, irresponsible and hasty, as it will only further burden the already struggling audience.

“We want the government to rethink its strategies and return these subsidies before July 1, because by then the prices of basic necessities will rise,” the committee said in a statement today.

In addition to the reductions he proposed, he also recommended reducing the allowances of ministers and their assistants, in particular those for holidays and trips abroad.

The prime minister should also end the appointment of his special envoys to the Middle East, India, China and the United States, who were each the equivalent of federal ministers and entitled to similar salaries and allowances, said said the committee.

It further recommended a review of salaries and allowances paid to senior executives and directors of state-linked companies and statutory bodies.

The government should further suspend massive infrastructure projects such as MRT3, ECRL and Bandar Malaysia as these would not immediately benefit the country which was facing a cost of living crisis.

“Apart from that, this committee wants price caps for chickens and eggs to be maintained as well as subsidies to farmers so that they do not suffer from supply chain problems.

“The price of RON95 petrol should also be maintained at RM2 per liter and the proposal to increase water and electricity tariffs should be abolished for the benefit of all,” he added.

On June 21, the Minister of Internal Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP), Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi, said that price cap controls for chicken, chicken eggs and subsidies for bottled palm oil of two, three and five kilograms (kg) will not be maintained. from July 1.

Ismail Sabri later announced increased payments from Bantuan Keluarga Malaysia to between RM50 and RM100 in response.

When the public backlash continued, the Prime Minister then said chicken and egg prices would not be allowed to float after all, but denied it was a U-turn.

]]>
Government awards imposter $18,000 scam to Henry County resident https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/government-awards-imposter-18000-scam-to-henry-county-resident/ Fri, 24 Jun 2022 23:16:04 +0000 https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/government-awards-imposter-18000-scam-to-henry-county-resident/
scam company
(© WavebreakMediaMicro – stock.adobe.com)

A Henry County man has been scammed out of $18,000 after falling victim to a government grant scam. The scammers contacted the victim on Facebook Messenger posing as his brother-in-law, who gave him information about a supposed government grant.

After contacting someone posing as a government official, the scammers asked him to send money, gift cards, and personal information to get his grant.

According to his wife, the victim was ill when he was scammed.

The Better Business Bureau ScamTracker received 346 reports of government grant scams nationwide in 2022, through June 21. The total amount lost so far is $486,852.

According to the BBB, in typical government grant scams, scammers will contact victims by phone, email or social media. They will claim that you have to pay a fee, either to get the grant or to pay a processing fee. Subsidies entice consumers with their claims of free money that you never have to pay back, but the money doesn’t exist and the scammers pocket the processing or security fees.

BBB has some tips for spotting government grant scams:

  • Scammers would have you believe that government grants are there to be taken. In reality, obtaining a government grant is a complex process, in which the grant seeker pursues the funds, not the other way around. If someone is actively soliciting you for money, that’s a red flag that you’re dealing with an impostor.
  • If you have to pay money to claim a free government grant, it’s not really free. A real government agency will not ask you to pay advanced processing fees.
  • Check lookalikes. A caller may say they are from an administration or service that is not real. Be sure to do your research and see if an agency or organization actually exists. Find your details on your own and call them to make sure the person you heard about is legit. The only official list of all US federal granting agencies is www.grants.gov.
  • Be careful with unsolicited calls asking for your banking information.

Report suspicious activity to BBB.org/ScamTracker to help other consumers avoid being scammed.

]]>
US Supreme Court backs public money for religious schools https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/us-supreme-court-backs-public-money-for-religious-schools/ Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:12:00 +0000 https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/us-supreme-court-backs-public-money-for-religious-schools/

A general view of the United States Supreme Court building in Washington, United States, October 13, 2021. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

June 21 (Reuters) – The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed increased public funding for religious entities in a landmark ruling in favor of two Christian families who challenged a Maine tuition assistance program that excluded private schools that promote religion.

In the latest in a string of rulings over the past few years expanding religious rights, judges in a 6-3 ruling overturned a lower court ruling that dismissed families’ claims of religious discrimination in violation of the Constitution American, including First Amendment protection. free exercise of religion.

The court’s Tory justices had a majority in the decision, written by Conservative Chief Justice John Roberts, and his dissenting Liberal members.

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

The ruling builds on the 2020 Supreme Court ruling in a Montana case that paved the way for more taxpayer money for religious schools.

Maine provides public funds to pay tuition at family-chosen private high schools in some sparsely populated areas of the northeastern state that lack public high schools. Schools that receive tuition assistance under the program must be “non-sectarian” and are excluded if they promote a particular religion and present material “through the lens of that faith”.

Roberts criticized the state program, which he said “works to identify and exclude otherwise eligible schools based on their religious exercise.”

The decision offered the latest example of the Supreme Court, with its increasingly assertive conservative majority, making the expansion of religious freedom a high priority in recent years. The judges have been receptive to allegations by plaintiffs – often conservative Christians – of government hostility to religion, including in the educational context.

The families in the Maine case asked for taxpayer money to send their children to two Christian schools that incorporate religion into their classrooms and have policies against gay and transgender students and staff. The First Amendment also prohibits government endorsement of a particular religion.

SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE

In recent years, conservative and religious advocacy groups have petitioned the courts for greater access to public funding for religious education, including through voucher or tax programs that give parents choice outside of public school systems. As the Supreme Court restricts the separation of church and state in the United States, critics have said such rulings risk entwining government and religion in ways the Constitution was designed to to prevent.

Liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote in dissent: “Today the court is leading us to a place where the separation of church and state becomes a constitutional violation.”

President Joe Biden’s administration has backed Maine in the matter, as have public school boards and teachers’ unions. Maine said it was excluding some private schools from the tuition assistance program because they would use public funds to promote religious beliefs.

The 2020 Montana Supreme Court ruling, which involved an education tax credit, prevented states from disqualifying schools from public assistance based on their religious status or affiliation. The Maine case went further, with the imminent possibility of requiring states that subsidize private education to also fund religious activities.

Two sets of parents — David and Amy Carson, and Troy and Angela Nelson — sued Maine in 2018.

The Nelsons said they wanted to use the tuition aid to send their son to a Christian school called Temple Academy in Waterville, but instead used it to send him to a secular private high school. The Carsons said they paid out of pocket to send their daughter to Bangor Christian Schools in Maine’s third-largest city.

Both schools describe themselves as seeking to instill a “biblical worldview” in students, according to court records. They refuse to hire gay teachers or admit gay and transgender students. Bangor Christian Schools teaches that a “husband is the head of the household” and includes a class in which students are taught to “refute the teachings of the Islamic religion with the truth of the Word of God”.

The Boston-based 1st United States Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against the families in 2020.

The families were represented by the libertarian legal advocacy group Institute for Justice.

Pushed by its conservative majority, the Supreme Court in recent years has expanded the religious rights of individuals and businesses while narrowing the separation between church and state.

In another case involving public funds, the court found in 2017 that churches and other religious entities cannot be categorically deprived of public funds, even in states whose constitutions explicitly prohibit such funding. The case involved a church that was denied access to a Missouri grant program that helps nonprofit groups improve playgrounds.

In other religious rights rulings this year, judges on May 2 backed a Christian group seeking to fly a flag bearing a cross at Boston City Hall and on March 24 ordered Texas to granting a murderer sentenced to death his request to have his A Christian pastor lays hands on him and prays audibly during his execution. Read more

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Reporting by Andrew Chung in New York; Editing by Will Dunham

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

]]>
Western Australia may be open for business, but the events industry is battered by COVID-19 https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/western-australia-may-be-open-for-business-but-the-events-industry-is-battered-by-covid-19/ Sun, 19 Jun 2022 21:49:15 +0000 https://grantstation-trendtrack.com/western-australia-may-be-open-for-business-but-the-events-industry-is-battered-by-covid-19/

After nearly two years of cancellations and strict COVID-19 restrictions, major events are starting to return to WA, but Perth’s events industry says not enough is being done to help local operators to recover.

When the pandemic first hit in 2020 and borders were closed, events and entertainment companies were among the first to be affected.

Then the WA government decided to impose strict restrictions during the New Year period, resulting in a loss of over $26.5 million after 250 events were canceled.

Months after WA’s border reopened and weeks since most COVID restrictions were removed, major events are beginning to return to the old ‘hermit state’.

Later this month, the second State of Origin game will travel to Perth Stadium for the first time since 2019 and is expected to draw around 11,000 interstate visitors.

The last State of Origin game hosted at Perth Stadium was in 2019.(PA: Dave Hunt)

The stadium will also host the Perth International Football Festival in July, with Premier League club Manchester United taking on Aston Villa in one of the matches.

It was hoped that the reopening of the border in March and the easing of rules would also revive local businesses, but those in the events industry continue to struggle.

Mega Vision is one of the state’s leading audiovisual providers and production companies and hosts events ranging from small parties to large festivals.

Mr Georgiou said the ripple effect of cancellations around Christmas and the rollback of the border in February was still ongoing and he expected more recognition from the government of the ‘State.

Jeff Georgiou
Jeff Georgiou says a major trust issue is one of the hurdles facing the industry.(ABC News: Tabarak Al Jrood)

“We’re not going to see some things until summer comes, but it won’t be on the scale that before,” he said.

“Screaming for help for two years”

Mr Georgiou said he was tired of the events industry being lumped together with tourism and sport and not getting the appreciation it deserved.