Monica Cannon-Grant, whose charity Violence in Boston was shut down last month as a federal fraud case against her and her husband unravels in court, now wants to apply for unemployment assistance.
The terms of her release were set during her first court appearance in March after the 18-count federal indictment against her and her husband, Clark Grant, was unsealed. Those conditions include that she “not apply for or facilitate the application for unemployment benefits without court approval.”
On Wednesday, his attorney filed a motion to change that.
“Ms. Cannon-Grant is currently unemployed and wishes to apply for unemployment benefits,” her attorney, Robert Goldstein, wrote in a filing.
That same day, Cannon-Grant wrote a Facebook post calling for “Hump Day Help!” donations to FightForMonica.com to fund his legal defense: “We keep raising the legal fees for my freedom because it’s not free.”
The filing says Goldstein spoke with federal prosecutors and they raised no objections: “The government does not oppose the defendant’s application for unemployment benefits so long as such application is made. in accordance with the law.”
The Taunton couple are accused of using the resources of their Violence in Boston charity – ViB – to personally enrich their own lives. The indictment made public on March 15 relates to 18 counts: two counts of wire fraud conspiracy, one count of conspiracy, one count of mail fraud – aiding and abetting, 13 counts of wire fraud – aiding and complicity, and a count of misrepresentation to a mortgage company – aiding and abetting.
They pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Among the details of the 38-page indictment is the accusation that Cannon-Grant paid herself a high salary from the charity coffers in direct contrast to public statements that she did not took no salary.
She is also accused of directing co-conspirators to seek public and private grants for the organization which effectively contributed to the couple’s living expenses. The federal government says a $10,400 grant from an unnamed department store will be used to feed starving children, but was actually laundered by a church to pay off the rent.
She is also accused of using a $10,000 grant from the Suffolk District Attorney’s Office while still under Rachael Rollins, who is now the United States Attorney for Massachusetts and heads the office. who pushes these accusations.
She was fired from ViB early last month by its board and the charity closed.